On Saturday, March 30th.... a group of writers and illustrators assembled at Bristol Farms in Redondo Beach for a Saturday Morning Schmooze.
- We discussed the various aspects of our own projects, ranging from picture book layout and pitching our story ideas, to how to put together a writing sample to send to various publishers.
- One of our newer schmoozers , Angie, shared with us her amazing organization skills with a multicolored tabbed binder with various chapters of her YA novel. Some sections were original, some were in re-write phase... and the whole thing was impressive. I can see a future workshop or schmooze based on what we learned in the future...
- As a group we discussed the process of submitting work (both manuscripts and illustrations) and ideas on how to keep working while we have completed works sent out. We also brainstormed about future Schmooze topics, including quick draw and creative writing sessions, acquiring agents, publicists, and networking opportunities.
- We also have decided to put together a South Bay Resource Library - at our schmoozes we will bring together our collective resources, a kind of book lending program of the professional trade books (AIGA Ethics and Guidelines, Artist's and Writer's Markets, etc)... as we all agree that each of us purchasing the same books is sometimes discourageing... why not share what we have, and help each other...
- Our Writing and Illustration Exchange will continue, allowing everyone the option to participate....
Mark your calendar with these upcoming South Bay Schmooze Dates:
Tuesday, April 17th. "Coffee Talk" 7- 9 p.m.
Bring your current project (manuscript, sketches, dummy)... we will talk shop
210 North Aviation Boulevard
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Bobaloca's Located between Artesia Blvd & Manhattan Beach Blvd, at 2nd Street Londoner Hair Salon, is in the same strip of little businesses. Bobaloca's is right in the middle.
Saturday, April 25th. - Morning Schmooze - 10:00 - 12 noon.
Writer's = Writer's Day - Review and Hear from those who attended
Illustrator’s = Introducing a new idea: Trading Cards
1700-A South Pacific Coast Highway
Redondo Beach, CA 90277